|Welcome to the Project Page.|
As main desktop Eric choose MATE. Here you can get additional information about our Desktop Environment.
It is simply a question of manpower.
GhostBSD is based on TrueOS with FreeBSD 12 STABLE with our twist to it. We are still continuing to use TrueOS for OpenRC, and the new package's system for the base system that is built from ports.
GhsotBSD = FreeBSD + Stuff that is not suported on FreeBSD
GhostBSD is becoming a slow-moving rolling release base on the latest TrueOS with FreeBSD 12 STABLE. When FreeBSD 13 STABLE gets released, GhostBSD will be upgraded to TrueOS with FreeBSD 13 STABLE.
In the Press about FreeBSD
- "It is the unknown giant." Source: c't magazin
- Why you should migrate everything from Linux to BSD
- FreeBSD is an amazing operating system
- FreeBSD Journal
Who use FreeBSD
- It is used mainly on servers because of its stability. Who uses it: for examble Netflix or WhatsApp. Source:Thomas Krenn
- See also: Internet Service Providers
- List of products based on FreeBSD see Wikipedia
GhostBSD Project Goals
The goals of the GhostBSD Project are to provide:
- A simple, elegant desktop environment to support your day-to-day computing needs.
- Easy to use software management program for installing any of the 32,000 available applications.
- Linux binary compatibility to run almost any GNU/Linux application.
- Well-designed graphical installation programs.
- Automatic hardware (e.g., video, sound, network, devices) detection and configuration.
- A hardened 64-bit BSD system that is unaffected by malware, viruses, spyware, and malfeasance.
- OpenZFS support for modern amd64 systems.
- The best user experience possible.
There are a lot of developers around the world who are interested in GhostBSD and show how to install other desktop environments.
See also: Community Build